Advocacy ensures that people’s voices are heard. It is a way of providing practical support that enables people to make informed choices, represent themselves and get the services they need. It promotes inclusion and justice. It helps to redress the power imbalance between service users and providers.

What do we do?

The Advocacy Service exists to support adults who have a problem they cannot resolve themselves. This includes:

  • Care assessments and appeals
  • Care Charges
  • Support to get services
  • Refusal of service
  • Reduction of service
  • Direct Payments problems
  • Problems with care packages or the agency providing care
  • Support to attend meetings

How do we do this?

  • By going through the above processes with you.
  • Supporting you to have your voice heard and to say what you need.
  • Understanding and explaining your rights to you
  • Communicating with your social worker or other professionals
  • Treating you with respect at all times
We also provide with Mind: Independent Mental Health Advocacy for those on community treatment orders (CTOs) and anyone entitled to advocacy under the Mental Health Act 2007, as well as Advocacy relating to treatment of mental health conditions in the community. And with Mencap: Advocacy specifically for people with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD). The service is funded by Hammersmith and Fulham Council and NHS Hammersmith and Fulham. It is free, independent and open to any adult who receives or is entitled to Adult Social Care and lives in Hammersmith and Fulham.

The role of an advocate

Your Advocate will:

  • Always treat you with respect
  • Listen to you without judging you
  • Be on time
  • Help you to find more information
  • Give you time to think about your choices
  • Always try to find out what you want
  • Help you to say what you want
Your Advocate is not the same as:
  • A friend or family member
  • A lawyer or solicitor
  • People you work with like social workers and support workers
  • The service is funded by H&F council and H&F Health Authority

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can use the service? Any person who receives or is entitled to Adult Social Care and lives in Hammersmith and Fulham. Who can make a referrel?
  • You can refer yourself
  • A friend, relative, carer, or a professional can refer you.
What does it cost? The Advocacy Service is free, you do not have to pay. The service is funded by Hammersmith and Fulham council and the Hammersmith and Fulham Health Authority Will I see someone straight away? Due to limited staff resources some people may have to wait until an advocate becomes available. We plan that the wait will be as brief as possible. Priority will be given where physical or mental harm may be imminent. Those with a statutory entitlement to advocacy will be treated as priority.